Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

If You Don't Believe In Your Product, No One Else WIll

Find a need and fill it. This is probably what they teach you on the first day of business school. It seems like a simple concept but when starting your own company, this first step can make or break your future.

But, if you've made it this far, then you most likely have already figured out that need in which you want to fill and are on your way. However, while there has to be a need in order for people to buy into your product or program, the need alone doesn't guarantee a sale. One of the biggest factors in people choosing whom they buy from is the genuine passion of the person they are speaking to. You have to truly believe in what you are selling. If you're not bought in, they won't be bought in. 

Example: 7 years ago, I got the brilliant idea (sense the sarcasm?) that I wanted to be a car salesman at a high-end dealership and that I would be excellent at it. I'm very social and can talk your ear off, I learn very quickly so memorizing the specs on a dozen different models would be a breeze and the management team had endless faith in my skills. Oh boy, was I wrong!

It was excruciatingly difficult to sell something that, 90% of the time, was out of budget for the buyer and usually had more bells and whistles than anyone could use in a realistic lifestyle. This internal negativity set me up for failure from the start. Oh sure, I could talk to people and have a good time while going on test drives, but when it came down to the wire and getting them to 'sign on the line', I simply could not close the deal. And I know now it was because I didn't believe in the product.

I would NEVER purchase one of these vehicles (makes and models purposely omitted) so how could I convince someone else to do so? I lasted a mere 5 months and walked away with my tail tucked between my legs. I had undoubtedly failed because I didn't agree with or like the product I was selling. And I think people could see right through that in my sales pitch.

So what's the moral of the story? You need to care about, no, love whole-heartily, no still not right... be willing to go to the ends of the earth and back to defend and sell your product. You should want to shout it from the rooftops that you are here to fill someones need and you have exactly what they have been searching for. If you don't have this kind of passion, then you are in the wrong industry, my friend.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you Sarah, if you want to convince someone on something, you've got to convince yourself first. No one will believe in your product/service if you yourself don't sound confident about it.

    Buy Pinterest Followers

    ReplyDelete